Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Absolutely Part 2 - Text actually does have fixed meaning

Postmodernists claim that relativism not only applies to reality but also to texts as well.  Which is funny when you think about it.  There are books written that say, "Text has no fixed meaning."  Really?  Doesn't that strike them as just a bit odd . . .

How should we read text if we believe in absolute truth?  Well, we need to know the author's purpose for the text.  Never say, "what does this text mean to mean," it should be, "what does the author mean by this text."  For example, you could take the quote from the first paragraph where I said, "'Text has no fixed meaning,'" and post it on another website claiming that I am a postmodernist.  But, if you read the rest of the paragraph and the rest of the post you'll see that I am most certainly not a postmodernist.  And, that's not what I meant by that quote--my purpose in writing that was to show the reader an example of how postmodern thinking contradicts itself.

Be strong in the Lord and never surrender!

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking foreward to reading more posts! :)
    lol,I was just thinking that no one would ever get the Road to Avonlea quote and than I got your comment. :) (I love your profile photo by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I hope I can get more people to read it now :)
    lol, that's hilarious! I didn't really know any of the other quotes, but I will never forget that one Road to Avonlea!
    Thanks--it's one of my graduation pix from last year.

    ReplyDelete